Dill Pickle Dip

dill-pickle-dipThe first thing I thought when I put the first bite of this dip in to my mouth was “Holy crap, this is amazing.” Then I continued to eat spoonfuls of it…

The great thing about this recipe is that it is so versatile, you can make it as a dip, like I did, or use it as a condiment for burgers and brats! It can also be easily spread on tortillas to make pickle roll-ups.

*12-3-2013 update: I have found that baby dill pickles make for the crunchiest and most delicious dip.*

5.0 from 1 reviews
Dill Pickle Dip

Prep time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 8 servings
Ingredients
  • 1 8oz block of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 1 16oz jar of baby dill pickles, drained very well. I also recommend patting them dry
  • 1 2.25oz jar of dried beef (found by the tuna/canned meat)
Instructions
  1. Chop the beef using a knife or food processor.
  2. Coarsely chop the pickles using a knife or food processor.
  3. Add the beef and pickles to the cream cheese and mix until incorporated. I recommend refrigerating for 1 hour or overnight. Serve with your favorite crackers!

Looking for a dip with a kick? Try my Spicy Jalapeno Pickle Dip!

25 comments

• Sammi Sunshine says:

The beef provides a flavor that compliment the pickles, but no, it is not absolutely necessary. The beautiful thing with simple recipes like this is you can take things out that you don’t like! I have not tried it without the beef.

1. Tanner says:

I have no idea what dried beef (sold in a jar??) is. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in a grocery store (I’m in Canada). Is it beef jerky?

Heading to the store now to look!

• char55 says:

dried beef is very thin cut and in a tiny jar that we used to save for juice glasses. It is salty and flavorful. Beef jerky would need to be shredded fine because it would be much more chewy. You could try some of the meats sold super thin sliced in the deli type meats, but they are not as flavorful. Still they would do in a pinch. I am thinking some hard salami super thinly sliced and then chopped… I have used that in a pinch.

2. kg says:

Oh wow – that Beef in a Jar is also called ‘chipped beef’ and is SOFTER than beef jerky. I grew up with ‘Chipped beef and gravy on toast” Or as it is apparently called in the service ” ‘Shtuff’ on a Shingle” Am going to have to try this – and yes, I would think the dill would be better compliment than sweet pickle – (to whick I might add chopped ham instead)

3. Jennifer McHenry says:

I do not have a food processor, so I chopped my pickles and beef up real fine and mixed it with the cream cheese with a hand mixer. I think the texture turned out about the same as the picture. The flavors are melding in the fridge, but I have no doubt that this will be a delicious spread for crackers.

• Rhonda says:

Ok the results are in an it’s amazing. I didn’t have a 16 oz jar of pickles, so I used 5 of the really big pickles. That seemed to be good. I am also pretty lazy, so I used a food processor for the pickles. There was liquid, as to be expected, but I just drained it as much as possible. I also didn’t use the entire jar of beef, because it was a little too salty for my taste. I just kept adding more as I as I tasted it. I bet it will be a hit at the baby shower.

4. Rose says:

Made this earlier today and it’s soooo easy and soooo good! I love the pickle roll-ups but they are just so much work to make. This is way better with all the same flavor 🙂
    Thanks!

5. Jen says:

I make a cheese ball that’s very similar. The only difference is I chop up 3 to 4 scallions to mix in instead of dill pickles. My friends request it at nearly every gathering, and they like it so much and think it’s so addictive that they refer to it as “The Crack Ball.”

Also, depending on your grocery store, you may find the dried beef in a pouch (rather than a jar) near lunch meat.

• DSawyer says:

Is there a way of getting that recipe from you, Jen? Is it exactly the same as this, with just pickle/scallion trade out? What size scallions? Sounds great!

• Jen says:

For the most part… I usually use two bricks of cream cheese, 3-4 scallions (sometimes I use more or less depending on how big the scallions are), and one jar or pouch of dried beef. It really won’t make a difference, though, if all you have on hand is one brick of cream cheese. And I typically serve it with Wheat Thins or Triscuits. But it’s also good with pretzels, spread on bagels, on a sandwich, or on baked potato. Sammi said above she spreads it on tortillas and rolls them up… this stuff is so good on just about anything, and it’s so simple.