This past December I came home from work to a little packet on my front porch. Inside the packet was a pen, a tiny calendar, and a letter. The letter was a woman in my neighborhood introducing herself as the local realtor. Then pen had her face and her info, and the calendar had…. RECIPES!
As soon as I saw the recipes, I thought “This is my kind of woman.” And I smiled a little smile.
I hung those recipes on my fridge(yes, it was a mini magnetic calendar with recipes, genius!) and OF COURSE I made January’s recipe: Chicken Pot Pie.
Hooray for mini magnetic recipe calendars and to my new kindred spirit, Dolores!
- 1½ lbs chicken, cut in to bite size pieces
- 2 tsp chicken seasoning
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cups diced carrots
- ¾ cups diced celery
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 deep dish pie crusts, unbaked and thawed(if using frozen)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Warm the olive oil in a large skillet. Evenly coat your chicken with the chicken seasoning. Add the seasoned chicken to the skillet and saute until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan, set aside.
- Add the carrots and celery to the skillet and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant. Reduce the heat, sprinkle in the flour and stir until the flour is dissolved into the veggies and juices. Add the chicken stock, simmer and stir until thickened. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Return the chicken to the pan, and stir gently. Spoon the mixture in to one of the pie crusts. Gently lay the second pie crust over the pie, pinching the edges together. Gently cut 3 slits in the middle of the top crust and brush the crust with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Enjoy.